The EU single market will celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2023. It has enabled many SMEs to enter the export business. Nevertheless, almost three quarters of SMEs active in the single market still face regulatory hurdles when doing business in other EU countries.
For easier strategic control of the thematic priorities and RTI policy instruments at section level, a monitoring system was developed on behalf of the BMK.
We congratulate our researchers Jakob Kofler, Anja Marcher and Harald Wieser on receiving the Young Scientist Award of the DeGEval - Gesellschaft für Evaluation. The prize was awarded for the programme evaluation "City of Tomorrow" conducted on behalf of the BMK.
Order backlog in capital goods-related sectors declines very sharply, mixed developments in consumer-related sectors, expectations for Q4 2023 continue to fall.
In order to adequately meet the demand for skilled workers, an analysis is needed that takes regional and sector-specific conditions into account. In cooperation with L&R Sozialforschung, the Austrian Institute for SME Research conducted the study "Sector-specific skilled labour situation in Vienna".
In the first webinar of our 10-part series, Kevin Mole and Vicki Belt from the Enterprise Research Centre presented their recent study: existing business support programmes for net zero reach less than 1% of the total SME population. In the webinar, we discussed how policies can be designed to reach the remaining 99%.
Since the foundation of the Austrian Institute for SME Research, studies and analyses have been carried out in several thematic areas, both on national and international level. Many of these research projects focus on the situation and development of SMEs but also consider the differences and specificities of large enterprises.
We study different forms of businesses (e.g. one-person businesses, hybrid entrepreneurs, female entrepreneurship, etc.) as well as their life cycles, business models and innovation activities.
The Austrian Institute for SME Research continuously monitors the economic development for numerous economic sectors and industries and has comprehensive databases at its disposal. In addition, in-depth studies are prepared on specific issues and analyses are offered at the level of sectors, regions and company sizes.
The Austrian Institute for SME Research conducts evaluations and impact analyses of measures, programmes and institutions in various policy areas at international, national and regional level.
SMEs are of central importance for the labour market. They provide the majority of jobs in Austria and Europe. From the companies' point of view, employees are probably the most important factor for competitiveness.